Photo credit: B*2
The last island of the Florida Keys, Key West has been bringing characters to its island for many years. In the past, Tennessee Williams, Jimmy Buffet, Truman Capote, and Ernest Hemingway all visited the small island and called it home. Now, tourists head there to stay at the resorts, play in the sand, and generally take in the sunshine.
If you want to stay in Key West hotels on a budget, then you’re going to have to time your stay right. The peak season is from January to March and visitors start coming in droves again in June when Pride Week is held. Even budget-friendly hotels are usually priced over $100. Still, there are some good deals to be found.
1. Key West Youth Hostel and Sea Shell Motel- This is the cheapest place to stay in town. They don’t have television in the rooms, but they do offer free WiFi and free parking. The motel rooms start at $75 per night, but the dorm rooms only start at $34.
2. Caribbean House- These Caribbean-inspired rooms start at $85 in the summertime. In the winter, they go up to $100. The double beds are comfortable and you can find rooms that have televisions and refrigerators.
3. Casablanca Hotel- This is about as centrally located as you can get. At one time, Humphrey Bogart stayed here. Today, it has a pool, cable TV, and internet access. Rooms start at $125 per night.
4. Casa Marina Resort- If you still want to try to stay at a resort, then the Casa Marina is going to be your best bet. The rooms are around $149 per night, which is still cheaper than most things. It is on the beach and has 2 pools and a spa.
5. La Te Da- Starting at $100 per night, this is actually a pretty nice hotel. It has a pool, restaurant, sundeck, and 2 bars. It is located downtown and just a short stroll to the beach.
6. Key Lime Inn- Located 2 blocks from Duvall Street, this small hotel has free parking, a pool, free breakfast, and large rooms. The rates begin at $119 per night.
7. Southernmost on the Beach- Another hotel located on the beach, it might be small, but at only $149 per night, you can’t beat its location.
If you’re booking a guesthouse located downtown, be aware that many of them cater exclusively to gay men. As this may or may not be a description befitting to you, you might want to do some research first.
During the summer months, other than June, many of the hotels offer cheaper rates. Most of the smaller hotels listed above, however, will fill up quickly so it helps to make your reservations as far in advance as possible. Even in the smaller hotels, though, you shouldn’t feel too left out. Most are within walking distance of the beach and the clubs, and that’s where the real action is at anyway.